Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Day 2

Today started out a lil slow. Waking up and still not knowing my assignment I went and enjoyed breakfast and a book. When I got back to the hotel I decided to recruit others that were also unassigned. I met up with a lady named Ann and we have been inseparable. We started our day traveling New York City. Times Square, Mangolias, Central Park, and Rockefeller Center where they are holding election coverage. The Rockefeller was an even more amazing on our walk home lit up red and blue on a building to keep of the race to 270. Times square was a trip but it is always a amazing site standing where you have seen so many times on Tv. Magnolias was my counter parts idea not knowing anythime about it.. and I'm lucky it was because they make some of the best cupcakes. Central park was a beautiful site with all the leaves changing colors still. We decided then we didn't want to go back our hotel rooms so we decided to walk to the world trade center (ground zero) it was just a 5 mile hike but we were up to it.. half way there I got a call!! I was not going to lose my new found friend so I drug her along so she had an assignment to. Our task today was in fundraising. Although nothing like what I expected but it was amazing seeing all the donations that have come in. I worked with a girl out of Colorado making calls to thank top $ donors. Let me tell you it is shocking. The country has raised more then 85 million dollars. She starts by thanking the donor and tells them a story. The one that stuck out to me was from a lady in Staten Island. This lady was helped by a meal truck and she was so thankful because she didn't think she was going to get a chance to eat today. While calling a donor to thank them we got his 9 year old son. His father was not home but still wanted him to pass the message to his father. This 9 year old boy wanted to know how he could help because of all the kids that lost their homes.. (heart lifting I know) he wanted to donate clothes, toys, whatever he could get this hands on. Just that one story motivated me to do more.. I will also say I'm extremely jealous tonight because there has been a ship that has been docked in Staten Island for Red Cross volunteers.I know this because my partner in crime at the fundraising desk was going to be staying on it. She later found out she will be staying in a hotel and was very dissappointed. The Wright ship is somehow famous and I'm going to try to work on details tomorrow.. and try to get on this thing one night at least... how cool would it be to stay on a ship and rough it a little. Don't think Ann and I don't have something up our sleeves. Tomorrow is a new day and I'm excited see what is in store for me! I can't imagine. I have already met so many interesting people and experienced so much. 10 more days to go. (I was told to keep track of my days because they run together.... and they were right.. might need help remembering to come home) Also keep the East Coast in your thoughts and prayers. There is a north coastal storm coming in tomorrow and is going to tough for everyone without power.

3 comments:

  1. This is an awesome example of service and love! Def going to post this on Spread Love's FB Page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy; Thanks for this update. We're so proud to have a Bremer colleague helping with the storm victims and representing our local Red Cross too. We heard about the next rough weather coming. Take care! Looking forward to your next post.
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touching stories! Can't wait to hear more! You are an amazing person to volunteer for this, and you will have many stories to tell, and memories to keep in your heart! Stay safe dear. Look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete