Saturday, November 10, 2012

Day 5

Saturday! Today we ventured in the worst area I've been to yet, Breezy Point. When we got down there we drove around to feed people and every house was turned inside out and in their front yard. We stopped first at a local FEMA camp and talked to an elderly woman. She stuck it out in the attic of her house praying to make it out alive. They had about 8 feet of water in her house and said luckily they had the housr raised otherwise water might have reached them. Her neighbors were not as lucky and were found earlier this week. :( Just down the block we drove in and out of streets and found a tiny community doing clean up so they took a minute to have supper. An old war vet sat on he bumper of the ERV and told his story. Him and wife had lived their for over 60 years and everything was ruined. The people around here are like walking zombies. They are working hard to clean and salvage what they can. They just want someone to sit and listen. Its been the best experience just being that person. To give someone a break from this reality for a couple minutes while they eat their meal. Today was entertaining because these people just get a kick out of smile.. not a lot of it down here. I told my story how in food line yesterday battling another ERV with New York songs.. they were helpful and gave me some I haven't heard of.. so the others better watch out..! I'm not going to lie I was wanting the normalcy of my life back this morning but you go out helping so many people and just makes reminds why I'm here.

No comments:

Post a Comment